Daily Answer Topic : Euthanasia

Home Discussions General Subjects Daily Answer Topics Questions on Polity & Governance Daily Answer Topic : Euthanasia

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  anand 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Dr Haroon Ashraf
    Participant

“One cannot say that you have a right to die, but you have a right to dignified death. If we recognise the right to dignity in death, then why not dignity in dying.” Critically Examine the concept of living will and euthanasia in Indian Context.

anand
    Participant

Page 1

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  admin.

anand
    Participant

Page2

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  admin.

RahulRasalan
    Participant

RahulRasalan
    Participant

liosaa
    Participant

liosaa
    Participant

liosaa
    Participant

Sir, pardon my poor handwriting.please review the answer

Dr Haroon Ashraf
    Participant

Background:

Indian tradition and laws don’t recognise the right to die. Of course, Various suggestions to recognise right to die and decriminalise suicide is there, but not yet implemented. Though we don’t grant a right to die, we are unanimous in ensuring the dignity of the dead. Hence, why shouldn’t we ensure that those who are going to die can die peacefully, with dignity?

Dear Anand, The Question is asking you to

The Question is asking you to critically examine the concepts of living will and euthanasia in the Indian context. Hence you have to say why euthanasia and living will be allowed, why it shouldn’t be allowed, how it should be allowed and how it shouldn’t be allowed.

Why euthanasia:

1. People should have choice whether they need to live or die as a part of right to choose
    2. For someone who is terminally ill, death may be better than life
    3. Dignified death when all is well is better than an animal existence as a burden to all.
    4. Pain and suffering of illness may be a bigger issue than death itself.

Why not euthanasia:

1. We may not be able to ascertain the choice of a terminally ill person in some situations.
    2. Consent/living-will can be manipulated
    3. The choice may be a momentary fluctuation of mind, but the death is irreversible.
    4. Terminally ill may not be a terminal illness in all cases, there can be cure beyond our explanations.

How:

1. The patient must be terminally ill.
    2. The patient must be an adult.
    3. The patient must be mentally competent.
    4. The patient must be in severe pain.
    5. Two independent physicians must be satisfied that the above conditions are present.
    6. There should be a clear flawless procedure established by law to ensure that living will is executed in free will with sound mind and consciousness.

How not?

1. There should be no excuse in procedures
    2. There shouldn’t be arbitrary decisions by physicians or relatives
    3. It should not be considered as a living will if the person is/was not mentally sound and capable of taking an informed decision.
    4. In case of disputes, the decision should be primarily against euthanasia.

While you have come up with a good introductory paragraph, the next 3 paragraphs are not required as it is not the matter demanded by the question. UPSC IAS examination demands answer to exact points rather than too wide points. UPSC examiners may get bored if you go too far and wide. If you want to say any of those things, club them together to make them concise, or club them with a significant point so that the deviation will not be noticed.

Next two paragraphs are well written.

Then, though you said flipside, you were not mentioning the flipside in the first sentence. Re-read that sentence carefully. A ‘mature democracy’ is sufficient and usage ‘matured democracy’ is not required. again, the next two paragraphs are well written.

In essence, this is a good answer hidden between unwanted paragraphs. Work to ensure that you respect each word, each sentence to ensure that it is related to the demand of the question. That is how UPSC examiners are satisfied.

Dr Haroon Ashraf
    Participant

Dear Rahul,

While you have come up with a wonderful introduction to the question, you sharply deviated from the demand of the question in subsequent paragraphs. The question is not asking you to explain what are these concepts, but asking you to critically examine the concepts in the Indian context.

You can read the explanation I gave to the person above and gather more points.

5 cycles of 21 days have no scientific basis and as intelligent beings, we shouldn’t depend on superstitions.

Dr Haroon Ashraf
    Participant

Dear Liosaa,

Your Answer is good, except the beginning is too big 3 paragraphs. It may bore the UPSC examiner and he may decide to skip the good points you have written later. Please try to shorten it.
    Secondly, I have strong reasons to believe that you took more than allowed time to write this answer. (Pardon me if I am wrong) If your intention is to learn taking more time is not an issue, but if your intention is to get writing practice, you should try to write within as much close to the allowed time limit.

RahulRasalan
    Participant

Thank you sir for your valuable feedback. I will rectify the mistakes as you have mentioned.

liosaa
    Participant

Thank you for the review.Yes sir,i took longer time thn required to write the answer  as i was out of practice for a really long time..will surely try to improve on that.

anand
    Participant

Thank so much sir, I would definitely add on those points mentioned by you sir.

Dear Sir, kindly provide an insight on what changes in approach we have to take in answer in accordance with the keywords mentioned in question. For ex: analyse , critically analyse,examine , elucidate etc

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.