National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) furthered its effort to reduce pollution in river Ganga before Kumbha when Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated projects in Prayagraj including 175 KM of sewerage network today. The projects will now carry 7.8 Cr litres sewage water per day to existing STPs (Sewage Treatment Plants) at Salori, Kodra & Palghat for treatment which earlier ended up in Ganga.
National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG):
It was registered as a society on 12th August 2011 under the Societies Registration Act 1860.
It acted as implementation arm of National Ganga River Basin Authority (NGRBA), constituted under the provisions of the Environment (Protection) Act (EPA), 1986.
The Act envisages five-tier structure at national, state and district level to take measures for prevention, control and abatement of environmental pollution in river Ganga and to ensure continuous adequate flow of water so as to rejuvenate the river Ganga as below:
- National Ganga Council under the chairmanship of Hon’ble Prime Minister of India.
- Empowered Task Force (ETF) on river Ganga under the chairmanship of Hon’ble Union Minister of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
- National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG).
- State Ganga Committees, and
- District Ganga Committees in every specified district abutting river Ganga and its tributaries in the states.