Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday inaugurated the first phase of the ₹615 crore ‘roll-on-roll-off’ (Ro-Ro) ferry service between Ghogha in Saurashtra and Dahej in south Gujarat.
At present passenger movement is enabled, vehicle movement is possible once the ferry service is fully operational.
This ferry service is a first of sorts, will save a lot of time and fuel as many people commute between these two regions frequently.
Government aims to develop coastal infrastructure, integrate transport sector and improve state-of- the art to augment steps towards blue economy
What is Blue Economy:
• It is the sustainable use of ocean resources for economic growth, improved livelihoods and jobs, and ocean ecosystem health. It encompasses many activities
• Renewable Energy : Sustainable marine energy can play a vital role in social and economic development,
• Fisheries : More fisheries can generate more revenue, more fish and help restore fish stocks
• Maritime Transport
• Tourism : Ocean and coastal tourism can bring jobs and economic growth
• Waste Management: Better management of land based litter will help the ocean recover
• Climate Change: Oceans are an important carbon sink and can mitigate climate change