Khelo India Youth Games to be held in Pune from January 9, 2019; Grassroot level hunt for sports persons will be in bigger and better form
After the resounding success of the first edition of the Khelo India School Games last year, the grassroot level hunt for sportspersons from across the country, is back in a bigger, better form. In its second edition, the games which is an initiative of the Central Government, has expanded in its scope, and will allow participants to compete in two categories, (Under 17) and (Under 21), this year. In its new form, the games, which will be known as the Khelo India Youth Games, also allows students from colleges and Universities to compete.
About Khelo India –
The Khelo India programme has been introduced to revive the sports culture in India at the grass-root level by building a strong framework for all sports in India and establish India as a great sporting nation.
To accomplish the above objectives, Khelo India programme has been divided into 12 verticals, namely:
Play Field Development
- Community Coaching Development
- State Level Khelo India Centres
- Annual Sports Competition
- Talent Search and Development
- Utilization and Creation/Upgradation of Sports Infrastructure
- Support to National/Regional/State Sports Academics
- Physical fitness of school children
- Sports for Women
- Promotion of sports amongst people with disabilities
- Sports for Peace and Development
- Promotion of rural and indigenous/tribal games
Talented players identified in priority sports disciplines at various levels by the High-Powered Committee will be provided annual financial assistance of INR 5 lakh per annum for 8 years.
Khelo India School Games are a part of the Khelo India programme.
There are 16 disciplines as follows:
Archery, Athletics, Badminton, Basketball, Boxing, Football, Gymnastics, Hockey, Judo, Kabaddi, Kho-Kho, Shooting, Swimming, Volleyball, Weightlifting, and Wrestling.